Thursday, November 10, 2016

Will Trump follow through

I’m still recovering from my post-election hangover. I think many of us are in the same situation. I woke up this morning with my first thought being, will Trump follow through on his campaign promises? I did not know the top 10, so I look to Politifact, Donald Trump’s top 10 campaign promises

  1. Build a wall and make Mexico pay for it
  2. Temporarily ban Muslims from entering the United States
  3. Bring manufacturing back (jobs)
  4. Impose Tariffs on goods made in China (and Mexico)
  5. Renegotiate or withdraw from NAFTA and the Trans-Pacific Partnership
  6. Full repeal of Obamacare and replace it with market-based Alternative
  7. Renegotiate the Iran deal
  8. Leave Social Security as is
  9. Cut taxes
  10. “Bomb” and/or "take the oil" from ISIS. 
Will Trump follow through? Honestly, I don’t know, but I think it is possible that Trump will walk away from his promises in favor of other policies. I think it is possible that he said what he had to say to get elected, but is now faced with a host of opportunities that he had not previously considered. He is not a true Republican. He’s not beholden to the party. He can and will do whatever he wants. What does he want?