Sunday, November 17, 2013

When a pastor runs for a political office

I have a problem with pastor who run for office. It is simple really, a pastor is charged with leading a flock. That should be his or her job and primary focus. It's a calling. So when I see a pastor running for political office, it leads me to think that will be neglecting his flock. I think it is unbiblical and irresponsible, but I'm just an atheist so what do I know?

A Leavenworth minister has announced he's running for the Kansas House of Representatives.

Tony Barton, 52, is running for the 41st District, which is made up of portions of the city of Leavenworth and Fort Leavenworth.

Barton, pastor of the New Life Fellowship Church in Leavenworth, is the second Republican to announce he's running in the 41st District.

Source: Pastor runs for Statehouse

I'm ok with a former pastor running for office.

Another factor... A pastor who runs uses his church as an election machine, which is a perversion of its intent. Is it ethical for a pastor to use his church this way? No!