Wednesday, March 07, 2012

The Nude Photo Revolutionaries Calendar

Egyptian blogger Aliaa Magda Elmahdy (Twitter) shocked Egypt with this NSFW photo. She posted it as a feminist statement against radical Islamic oppression. At the time I thought the next story I would read about her would be sad news. I’m happy to see she is still active and inspiring others.

Maryam Namazie decided to launch a project to help support Elmahdy’s cause. It’s called the Nude Photo Revolutionaries Calendar.

The calendar is the idea of campaigner Maryam Namazie to support Aliaa Magda Elmahdy and join her ‘screams against a society of violence, racism, sexism, sexual harassment and hypocrisy’.

Namazie says: ‘What with Islamism and the religious right being obsessed with women’s bodies and demanding that we be veiled, bound, and gagged, nudity breaks taboos and is an important form of resistance.’

Various women, including one of my favorite bloggers, Greta Christina, grace its pages. I must say Greta, you are much braver than me. 

What are you waiting for… buy your copy now! All proceeds go towards supporting women’s rights and free expression.