Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I get comments

Today is 3:16. For some reason a few Christians think today is special because of John 3:16. If you type John 3:16 day into Google, Deep Thoughts ranks on the main page with this post - Photo a day - John 3:16. It’s a photo of John 3:16 scratched into the dust on the back of a truck. I don’t know what John 3:16 day is, nor do I care. But the protest emails rolled in anyway, and so did this comment (I left the misspelling intact).

Just a thought of my own…

My question to you is why does it bother you so much? Why must you attack someone you don't even know? You claim to be open minded but only as long as those around you feel exactly the way you do. It's not enough that most people you know are Christians because the verse says God so loved the world (not most of the world) and until everyone has been told about the gift God has given us in Jesus then Christians work can never be done. God loves you even if you don't belive in Him. God doesn't need you to belive to exist. He has always extisted and will always exist. God has the power to make all of us belive in Him but He gave us a choice. If you truly belive that God and Jesus don't exist why would those words in that dust on the back of a truck bother you so much? Why even give it a second thought? Let all the "crazy" Christians belive what they want and go on with your life. But you can't do that can you? There's something about it that bothers you. You should ask yourself why? Could it be God's way of trying to speak to you?

I feel compelled to answer.

My question to you is why does it bother you so much?

For all of my adult life I have been an atheist. This works out to a little over 31 years. For fully 20 of those years admitting publically any link to atheist resulted in social and economic consequences. I lost every Christian friend I had when I lost my faith. None survived even a year into my life as an atheist. Every single day of my life as an atheist I’ve had to run the Christian propaganda gauntlet. It bothers me because the messages are overwhelming. It bothers me because I am alone with my atheism and the constant pressure to believe something else wears me out. It bothers me because you assume I need the message. It bothers me because it ruins by daily buzz.  I’m high on life and this incessant drive to spread the Christian message is all around me. It’s almost like Christians think that nobody has heard the good news. We’ve heard it. I reject it. Stop bothering me.

But it gets worse when you look deeper. I’m one of a small minority in this country. My voice is small. If I dare raise it in the form of a message supporting my beliefs, like a bus ad, billboard or bumper sticker, the community rises up to oppose every word. If I put a Darwin sticker on my car Christians will pester me with pamphlets, and on occasion break a window. My words are lost in the overwhelming noise of Christianity. Why does it bother me so much? Because I have no outlet that is not opposed by Christians. Not only must I run your gauntlet. I cannot complain about it without getting 107 emails (just today), all of which tell me that Jesus loves me but that I’m going to burn it hell. Why does it bother me? I’m tired of this oppressive message. I don’t want to see it anymore.

Scratching John 3:16 on a dirty truck does not make you edgy or relevant. This is not a viral campaign to get the message out. This is simply more of the same crap. I see it everywhere I go. I drove 45 miles across LA this evening. I passed 11 religious billboards and noticed 9 cars with religious stickers. There were no atheist messages. Why does it bother me? I don’t have a choice but to see your message. You might as well be selling doughnuts. Our John 3:16’s are tastier than the catholic variety, we use lard. Pass the doughnuts please.

Your other questions are bullshit.

Why must you attack someone you don't even know? Hello – I attacked a straw man. Who is this someone I allegedly attacked? They don’t exist. My rant what hypothetical.

You claim to be open minded but only as long as those around you feel exactly the way you do. What? Come again? I am open minded. I can care less what “those around me feel”. My blog has an open comment police. I suffer idiots, which is why you were able to post. And I read all comments. I simply do not agreed with a single word you wrote. Not agreeing in not being close minded. It’s not agreeing.

I skipped the middle preachy part. I don’t need to see another John 3:16 message.

If you truly belive that God and Jesus don't exist why would those words in that dust on the back of a truck bother you so much? Why even give it a second thought? – I’m pretty sure I addressed this above. If you are still unclear, read it again and this time pay attention.

Let all the "crazy" Christians belive what they want and go on with your life. But you can't do that can you? – Here are facts, Christians go about their life while inflicting their beliefs on others, and they don’t’ know I exist. I have influence over what Christians do with their lives. I can only control my own life. That’s it. Nothing more. Believe whatever you like, but stop preaching it at me. I don’t try to convert you. Stop trying to convert me. It’s rude.

There's something about it that bothers you. You should ask yourself why? Could it be God's way of trying to speak to you? – No. There is no god, no Jesus, or any other deity. It’s all bullshit. You are speaking to me. So are the millions of other Christians in this country. And you won’t shut up.

Let me tell you a story from just last week. I sat alone in a Denny’s eating breakfast while on a business trip. While I waited for my for my order, a woman took an interest in me. She tried hard to make eye contact. I avoided her. I was already working and was busy preparing for a meeting. My steak and eggs came, and with it came an un-invited guest. She reach across the table as I picked up my fork and put her hand on mine. She said, “Let’s pray.” things went down hill quickly. The only reason I did not call the cops is that the manager threw her out of the restaurant. I’m guessing the $400 dollars I’d paid on previous days for team meals had something to do with his disposition.

This vicious and condescending woman was practicing what you preach. She was spreading the Good News. News I did not want to hear. 93 percent of Americans claim to belong to a religious denomination. How much good news can you possibly spread? The other 7% of us have already heard the damn message. Move on.

Technorati Tags: ,