Tuesday, March 31, 2009

They use every opportunity

I had an opportunity to visit the memorial for four slain Oakland Police officers last Saturday morning. It was early and I had the city to myself. I was struck by the outpouring of sympathy from the citizens of Oakland. I took pictures to remember the scene. It was as intense as it gets.

An Oakland police officer watched me from down the street. I could feel the sadness in the air. I stopped to read several of the notes left by school children. I felt so sad. Although I have never been a big fan of the police, they should not have to die to protect us. There are some bad people in the world, and some dumb people too. I don’t understand this level of violence or stupidity.

I noticed the forces of religious idiocy at work. Some soldier for Christ used this opportunity to leave bible tracts. You can see the tracts in the lower right of the picture below the picture of Officers Mark Dunakin, John Hege, Ervin Romans and Daniel Sakai. I felt outrage when I saw tracts. I felt better after I put them in the trash,

Later that day my family was able to donate two beautiful flower arrangements to the massive floral display. We plan on donating to their memorial fund too.

Technorati tags: , ,