Monday, December 15, 2008

An interesting church experience

I attended a Sunday night church service to watch my niece  participate in a Christmas play. My niece came out of her shell to perform beautifully. Her infection smile and enthusiasm made the event special. My wife and I enjoyed the show. The kids were entertaining. It was a truly a wonderful family event. I enjoyed myself. I took the normal good natured ribbing that comes with an atheist attending a church service in stride. There were smiles for everyone.

The Christmas play was held at Cypress Church. It is a nice place. The people were friendly and I felt welcome I expected an alter call, but there was none. The play was a musical spelling bee where children competed in an effort to spell the many names of God. The music was well written and performed to the best of the ability a group of eight year old children could muster.

We experienced a brief message from the pastor after the play. He invited anyone who was interested in learning more about the church to accept an information packet from one of the children. That was it. A no pressure event which I would gladly re-experience if my niece were to participate in another event.