Thursday, November 22, 2007

Disc Golf, the FBI, and Soccer

I started this Thanksgiving with a round of early morning disc golf. I played with a few friends. As we started the game, 20 cars pulled into the empty part parking lot adjacent to the course. It was a loud spectacle, complete with mariachi music, thumping bases, and coolers of beer.  A group of Latinos had arrived for a thanksgiving day match.

I smiled and waved, eventually greeting them in both English and Spanish. Everyone seemed happy.

One of our golfers threw a disc poorly. It hit the door of one of newly arrived cars. After he picked up his disc, the entire parking lot full of soccer players mobilized at once. They scrambled into cars and out of the parking lot. The scene was like something out of a well choreographed movie. One person stood up and whistled, moving his index finger in the global recognized circular motion interpreted as "lets get the hell out of here". Another pointed towards his care with a white soccer ball while loudly saying F.B.I. to a small knot of his friends. Within a minute, the parking lot was clear and we were alone again.

I looked around for a clue to their actions. The park was empty besides my group of six golfers. I realized that my friend who had hit one of the cars with his disc was wearing an FBI hat and matching sweatshirt. The soccer team had interpreted his attire as a threat and fled. He is a police officer, or more accurately, will be a police officer when he finishes his training. Today, he was just a disc golfer.

2 comments:

Johnny C said...

That is quite a funny story!

Anywho, I was wondering if your friend was also an atheist? I am going to apply for the LVMPD here in Vegas, but I have found it hard being an atheist. I went to one function where they had a benediction and I was the only one standing with my head up... I just don't want to ruin my chances but then again I don't want to be silenced.. I was just wondering if he had similar problems?

Mojoey said...

Johnny - all the time. I keep a respectful silence while others practice their faith at work. it makes for good times all around.

Everyone knows I am an Atheist. I don't hide it. I happen to work with two other Atheists, so I am not lonely. For years I was on my own. I try not to talk about religion or politics at work. It is way to easy to piss people off.

Good luck with the LVMPD. I need an insider on the force in Vegas.