Thursday, July 12, 2007

A step in the right direction

As an Atheist, I have always been uncomfortable with the tradition of prayer in the Senate.  It seems like another opportunity for Fundamentalists to point at the Senate and say "We even pray over our government".

There are two solutions. Ban prayer at government functions, or broaden the program to include all religions. Of the two options, I vote for the latter. I have no wish to stick my finger in they eye of my fundamentalist counterparts by banning prayer. However, I do desire to stick my elbow in their eye by allowing every religion on the planet a chance to lead the Senates morning prayer.

It happen today, my elbow feels righteous.

A Hindu clergyman made history Thursday by offering the Senate's morning prayer, but only after police officers removed three shouting protesters from the visitors' gallery.

Rajan Zed, director of interfaith relations at a Hindu temple in Reno, Nev., gave the brief prayer that opens each day's Senate session. As he stood at the chamber's podium in a bright orange and burgundy robe, two women and a man began shouting "this is an abomination" and other complaints from the gallery.

The Christians were pissed

For several days, the Mississippi-based American Family Association has urged its members to object to the prayer because Zed would be "seeking the invocation of a non-monotheistic god."

Next up is a Wiccan high priestess. She plans on delivering the prayer skyclad.

Technorati tags: , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually went to the American Family website and used their form ("Write your Senators! Tell them to oppose this!") to send a message in support of the move.

I liked the irony of it, but now I wonder whether it's just going to make AFA's numbers look better. Oh, well.