Monday, April 23, 2007

Things I do not understand

I’ve been following the murder trial of David Hill over the past few months. Hill murdered police officer Isaac Espinoza on April 10, 2004 without any justification by an AK-47 wielding Hill. The murder was brutal and senseless. I wanted to see what happen to Hill, so I followed the story in the press. I figured he would get the death penalty, but the prosecutor opted for second-degree murder. Hill was convicted and sentenced to two consecutive life sentences with the possibility of parole. I understand the courtroom cheered when the verdict was read. What I don’t understand is this, why would a pastor come to his defense?

In Hill’s defense, attorney Martin Sabelli and Pastor Michael McBride of the Way
Christian Center in Berkeley told the court that Hill had a deep sense of remorse for Espinoza’s family.

McBride said he has talked frequently with Hill about how he can use the rest of his life for good.

“I still think there is redeemable value in David’s life,” McBride said.

Hill is a cold blooded murderer; he now gets to spend the rest of his life in a little cell with like minded murderous psychopaths. What possible value could his life have? And would good does “expressing remorse” when you’ve pumped a few rounds into a piece officer. My sense of justice calls for the pastor to service the victims, not the criminals. It is just one more reason I can never be a Christian. Murders like Hill deserve nothing more from us than enough food to keep him alive so he can spend the next 80 years looking at his roommate’s big hairy ass. Remorse - does anybody believe that?

3 comments:

Darwin's Dagger said...

That's funny, I always thought having compassion for people, even the lowest most alienated people, was one of the few things religion ever gets right.

Mojoey said...

Show him compassion when he's safely locked away, not in front of the grieving widows. He will need all the help he can get once he's locked away.

Anonymous said...

If you are so into retribution and revenge, just think of how his "hairy ass" will be tapped without lubrication over the next several years.